Monday, May 12, 2014

Rebirth of An Artist


I had a bizarre dream a couple of days ago. It began by me talking with my Digital Processes professor about how I missed the deadline for submitting artwork. It ended with two of us being chased by a monster made entirely of fire. Though I don't usually believe in dream analysis, I used this dream as inspiration for my project.

In a couple weeks I'll be graduating from college. Then I will have to discard everything that I was in order to build a new life for myself. I've been having a lot of anxiety about this, which has caused me to have a lot of vivid dreams. I have found that I adopted origami as a habit that I do to procrastinate thinking about the future. Having had terrible issues with anxiety already, I've been experiencing a lot of self doubt and fear that has hindered my ability to prepare for the future.

This project in a way will be therapeutic for me. My idea is to film the formation and destruction of a paper crane, or another kind of origami bird. The destruction will be by fire. The destruction by fire will be representative of me overcoming my fears, as well as the rebirth of my identity. Obviously incorporating fire into my project will be difficult, since, well, fire. Hopefully I'll be able to minimize the risk involved. I'll leave you with a quote that I find pertinent to this idea:

"Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will." -Karim Seddiki

No comments:

Post a Comment