Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Life With Photoshop

Long ago, when Neopets was still popular, I began to become obsessed with Photoshop and digital drawing. I spent hours on DeviantArt and Neopets drooling over the clean, colorful images that people created from Photoshop and other digital art programs. For the longest time I didn't have Photoshop, but this didn't stop me from studying every tutorial I could fine. Finally, in my sophomore year of college, I was finally given Photoshop CS5 and a Wacom Bamboo tablet for Christmas. It's safe to say that my art life was forever altered from that day.

The first work I did with photoshop was a self portrait. While the image itself is not the interesting, especially because I used my YMCA membership card as reference, I was proud of how the work came out. 





My most complete digital artwork is a logo that I made for my friends theatre company, which is called Flatirons Entertainment. The imagery in the logo is of the Flatirons, a series of mountains in Boulder, Colorado. 




The majority of the artwork I've created with photoshop has either been made in jest or as fan art, referencing some of my favorite video games and shows. It also tends to subscribe to a fairly simple style, with a lesser focus on realism. 





This year I started making comics for The Lawrentian, my school newspaper. I feel that my job as a comic artist has been very helpful in helping me get my artwork more recognition as well as to connect with fellow Lawrentians through my depictions of shared experiences. My job also allows me to indulge an old childhood dream of mine to be a cartoonist. While the comics are in a simple black and white style, I try to be as detailed as possible.





Stay tuned to see what I do next.

3 comments:

  1. I think your photoshop skills are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never showed me your colorful photoshop art, though I saw you working on it a lot last year. Keep it up girl!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your comics! I'll have to start looking for your comics more in the Lawrentian. I'm interested in seeing what you do in the class, video is such a different world. :D

    ReplyDelete