Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Moving Through Time and Space

"'Time' has ceased, 'space' has vanished." The Medium is the Massage


While the execution of this project was far from perfect, I am actually somewhat proud of what I have managed to achieve. I've dreamed of creating a stop motion piece for a large portion of my life, and stop motion happened to go well with the concept I wanted to illustrate. After reading McLuhan and Fiore's book, I thought of another book. A Wrinkle in Time. Aside from being one of my favorite books, I felt that I could draw parallels between the ways the characters access the fourth dimension in order to travel through time and space and the way The Medium is the Massage tells of how digital media has increased the speed of our perceptions. In a way, digital technology has also resulted in the subversion of time and space. I felt this shift in dimensions would best be portrayed by a change from a 2 dimensional piece to a 3 dimensional piece. Thus, there is a literal transition between the drawing of a fox to an origami fox. As the video illustrates, art executed in the 2nd dimension is constructed far slower than the art in the 3rd dimension.

 I was also hoping to incorporate the idea that this increase in speed has led to an increase in conglomeration. As the book says "Print technology created the public. Electric technology created the mass."


Due to logistics, I was unable to edit the two videos together. Still, I am content that I was able to make this concept manifest in some form or another.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the stop motion. The ending really brought the video together. I didn't want the video to end! Would have loved to see the video as a longer piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, having created a stop motion for studio art last term, I completely understand why this project proved to be so time-consuming for you! The fact that you were able to still get everything together is commendable, and I truly feel like you don't even need the editing! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete