Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Social Critique: Looking at Graffiti Scars

For this project, I concentrated on the graffiti found underneath the bridge next to Jones Park. The style of graffiti art has always fascinated me. Furthermore, thanks to artists such as Banksy, graffiti has begun to be recognized as a legitimate medium. However, a lot of graffiti art never gets seen. It is either hidden away in private locations or covered up, because the act of creating graffiti is considered public defacement. I find this to be tragic, in a way, for graffiti is a medium often employed by artists that don't have professional training, or social outsiders trying to convey a message. Therefore, the suppression of graffiti can be considered the suppression of the voice of the social outcasts, who are concentrated among lower class youth. Through these photos,  I wanted to investigate what messages these artists were trying to express. See my photos here.


2 comments:

  1. I personally loved how grungy everything was because of the location of the graffiti. It was stripped, to the point and very resonating. I think that your social critique is very valid and I love that you used art to capture the silencing of a group of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed looking through your photos. I also love looking at graffiti, your idea that graffiti can be a symbol of supression is very interesting. I love that you've included various types/style of the graffiti in your work!

    ReplyDelete