Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Welcome to the World


My name is Erin Davis, and I'm an aspiring artist and scientist. My scientific interest is the neurobiology of mental illness. Through art, I try to visually represent ideas I have about the world or novel emotions I experience. Simply, I am a very analytical person, and I seek to discover the truth of all things. Sometimes my interests can be described as dark or morbid, but that is simply because I don’t have the same reaction towards things that frighten me as others do. While most may be inclined to shy away from the thing that scares them, my fear motivates me to seek a greater understanding of the thing that scares me. Control over one’s impulses is necessary for artistic and intellectual achievement, as well as greater acceptance of diverse peoples and things. I find that art is one of the best mediums for expressing this truth, or truths, in exciting and engaging ways. Hopefully, my art will allow my viewer access to my brain. I enjoy traditional drawing with ink and pen, but I also seek to be a master of the digital realm. While I have negligible experience with digital video and photography I am fairly proficient in using Photoshop to make works of art. I am also a bit of an origami enthusiast, and I hope to explore how origami influences math and science and perfect my paper folding abilities. Furthermore, I wish to incorporate origami into a broader range of art, such as I have done in the past. Examples of my past work are shown below.




1 comment:

  1. An aspiring scientist? I would say you already are a scientist, if you seek truth through organized means. Don't be afraid to admit that you're a scientist. Poke things and own it. :]

    If the connection between Science and Art fascinates you, I highly recommend taking a close, research-driven look at the art of the Enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete